Everybody loves brownies, but brownies with caramel are by far the best. This recipe uses a rich chocolate, black bean, and date brownie batter and then marbles homemade sweet potato caramel throughout the dessert.
Black Bean Fudge Brownies With Sweet Potato Caramel [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Caramel:
- 1 cup medium diced sweet potato
- 1/4 cup raw almond butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- A generous pinch freshly cracked Himalayan salt
For the Brownies:
- 2 cups cooked black beans (or canned)
- 6 large Medjool dates, soaked for 30 minutes in warm water
- 1/4 cup steamed sweet potato
- 1/4 maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan or sea salt
- Caramel (recipe above)
To Make the Caramel:
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.
- Add the sweet potatoes and simmer them until they're tender.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and add them to a small blender along with all other ingredients.
- Blend everything until smooth.
- Set this aside.
To Make the Brownie:
- Preheat the over to 350°F.
- Drain the dates and remove and discard the pits.
- Add the black bean, dates, maple syrup and sweet potato to a food processor and process until the mix comes together and no large chunks of dates remain.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process again until the mixture is smooth. The batter will be thick.
- Transfer the batter to a parchment lined 8x8-inch pan or oven proof dish.
- Place the caramel (putting 1/3 cup aside for garnish) on the surface of the brownies and then drag a thin knife through the surface to create a swirl effect.
- Bake the brownies at 350°F for 35 minutes. They will still be soft when you remove from the oven. Let them cook completely before cutting this into 16 brownies or 32 small fudge pieces.
- Serve them with an additional dollop of salted sweet potato caramel.