You might think that this corn chowder is better served during the summer but with delicious frozen sweet corn, you can enjoy this any time of the year. So creamy and comforting, this vegan corn chowder is a crowd pleaser and taste flavor you're gonna love!
Creamy Corn Chowder [Vegan]
- 1 cup onion chopped finely
- 1 cup red bell pepper seeded and chopped (reserving 1/4 for garnish)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 medium potato peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups corn from 3 ears or frozen
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon savory seasoning
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro (garnish optional)
- Green onion chopped (garnish optional)
- Red pepper chopped (garnish optional)
- In a large pot, heat olive oil. Sauté onion, garlic, red pepper, and celery for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add diced potato and mix well. Add in flour and stir to coat veggies. Cook for a minute or 2 before adding the vegetable broth and non-dairy milk.
- Add spices and stir well. Bring to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce to simmer, cover the pan with a lid and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Once potato is tender, add corn kernels and stir to combine. Let cook for a further 5-10 minutes or until corn is tender to your liking.
- Transfer about a third of the soup to a blender, and blend until smooth. Or use an immersion blender to cream part of the soup in the pot.
- Pour back into the pot and stir well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with chopped green onion, cilantro, and extra bits of corn or red pepper.