Making a vegan version of the cream of mushroom soup is in fact not as complicated as you might think. Traditional cream of mushroom soup is made with heavy cream and butter. So, in order to veganize it, all you have to do is to replace heavy cream with cashew cream and dairy butter with vegan butter.
Cream of Mushroom Soup [Vegan]
For the Soup:
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 14 ounces white button mushrooms
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 5 dried morel mushrooms (optional but highly recommended)
- 1/2 cup vegan white wine
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon old bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
For the Cashew Cream:
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1/2 cup soy milk (unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Soak the morel mushrooms in water for about 30 minutes. Reserve the soaking water and pour the mushroom water through a fine sieve.
- In a Cast Iron Round Casserole, saute onions and garlic in 2 tablespoons vegan butter until soft and fragrant. While the onion and garlic are sauteing, rinse, and slice mushrooms.
- After the mushrooms have cooked down a bit, add 1/2 cup of white wine.
- Continue cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add vegetable broth, dried herbs, and old bay seasoning to the pot, bring it to a boil, then turn the heat to medium.
- In a high-speed blender, add all the ingredients of the cashew cream and blend until smooth
- Next, add 1 cup of the soup to cashew cream and blend until smooth
- Pour the cashew mixture into the pot and season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of soup until the cornstarch is thoroughly mixed. Then, pour the cornstarch mixture to the pot.
- Continue cooking until the soup has reached your desired consistency.