Waking up in the morning to a warm, savory bagel is a delicious way to start your day indeed. Whether you like to top yours with some vegan butter, plant-based cream cheese, or even some avocado (yum!), the chewy outside and soft inside just seems to scream comfort food.
Everything Bagels From Scratch! (They’re Easier Than You Think!) [Vegan]
- 1½ cups lukewarm water
- 1 Packet of dry active yeast (1/4 oz)
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbs vital wheat gluten
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tbs sugar
- vegetable oil for the bowl
- salt for the boiling water
- sesame seeds
- poppy seeds
- dry minced garlic
- dry minced onion
- coarse salt
- Mix 1 tbs sugar and the lukewarm water together in a small mixing bowl until sugar is dissolved. then add the yeast.
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour, 2 tsp salt, 2 tbs vital wheat gluten, and the other 2 tbs sugar. Mix well.
- Add the wet yeast mixture to the dry ingredients and knead for about 10 minutes. The dough should not be dry or wet but "tacky."
- Use the vegetable oil to oil a large bowl and place your tacky ball of dough in it. Cover with a damp cloth and let sit for an hour.
- After it rests for an hour, preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Put a large pot of salted water on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Take a small plate and pour all of yours seasonings on it. Mix it up a little on the plate.
- Cut or pull your dough into 12 separate pieces. Roll pieces into balls and press your thumb in the center. Keep tucking dough under through the hole until you it looks, well, like a bagel.
- Place bagels on a baking sheet and keep covered with a damp towel so they don't dry out for this next step.
- Once water is boiling, lower heat to a simmer, and drop 3 or so in the water. They should float after a few seconds, if not poke at them ... they will rise to the surface. Simmer about 1 minute and then flip them over for another minute.
- Pull bagels out of the water and press each side onto your plate of seasonings. then put back on baking sheet.
- Continue the cycle of simmering bagels for a minute on each side then pressing into seasoning until all are done.
- Place bagels into the oven and bake for 18 minutes or so. They will start to turn brown on the tops and smell divine.
- Remove and let cool for at least 30 minutes.
Inspired by and adapted from Post Punk Kitchen