Flavored with festive warming spices (see homemade spice mix recipe below) and blackstrap molasses, these Gingerbread Baked Oat Cups have been a total hit with all of my taste-testers, kids and grown-up kids alike!
Gingerbread Baked Oat Cups [Vegan]
For the Oat Cups:
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free quick-cooking or old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup vegan vanilla protein powder (or substitute additional oats)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar-free monk fruit sweetener (or substitute coconut sugar)
- 2 teaspoons gingerbread spice mix (recipe below)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 flax eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or nut-free milk
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses (or substitute additional maple syrup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Gingerbread Spice (for approximately 1/2 cup spice mixture):
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- pinch of black pepper
For the Spice Mix:
- Mix all the ingredients together and transfer to an airtight container such as a mason jar. Store in a cool, dry place for 3 to 4 months.
For the Cups:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with silicone liners or grease well.
- In a medium bowl, mix together oats, protein powder if using, sweetener, gingerbread spice mix, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flax eggs, dairy-free milk, olive oil, maple syrup, molasses, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until just set in the middle.