Scallops are one of the most popular seafood dishes due to their rich taste and flaky, buttery texture. But do not fret! You can still achieve the same luxurious flavors and textures thanks to these vegan scallops that use King Oyster mushrooms. The stems of these shrooms look so similarly to scallops that you will hardly notice the difference!
King Oyster Scallops With Lemon Cashew Cream Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Mushrooms and Marinade:
- 3 King Oyster mushrooms (just the stems, chopped into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup water
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 drops of liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 nori sheet
- Cracked black pepper
For the Lemon Cashew Cream Sauce:
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked overnight)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill
To Make the Marinade:
- Mix the marinade ingredients. Crumble in half the nori sheet.
- Add in the mushrooms stems and submerge.
- Cover the stems with the second half of the nori sheet to ensure that they stay submerged.
- Let sit in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 3 hours.
To Make the Scallops:
- Heat a cast iron or non-stick pan to medium-high heat.
- Add in 2 tablespoons coconut oil and allow to heat thoroughly.
- To this add in the mushroom stems and allow to fry on one side for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown on the edges.
- Flip the scallops and fry the other side until they look even.
To Make the Lemon Cashew Cream Sauce:
- Add soaked cashews and other ingredients to your high-speed blender and blend on low to combine the ingredients.
- Slowly increase the speed to high and allow to blend until the cashews are fully creamy and smooth.
- Place this mixture in the refrigerator to thicken while you make your pasta.
- Combine the creamy lemon sauce with pasta and your favorite ingredients then add on your scallops.