This recipe for orange soy curls is sweet, spicy, sticky, and delicious. Served with a side of brown rice and variety of sautéed vegetables, it's a meal that'll keep you full and satisfied. It's sure to be declared a household favorite, so you know you'll be making it again and again.
Orange ‘Chicken’ With Mixed Vegetables and Brown Rice [Vegan]
For the Soy Curls:
- 1 8-ounce package soy curls
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoons 5-spice powder
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the Dish:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, julienned
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 pound green beans, chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup brown rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free tamari
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sriracha hot sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder, plus 3 tablespoons cold water
- Scallion greens, for garnish
- Brown rice
- Empty the soy curls into a bowl and cover with hot water. Let stand 10 minutes until softened. Gently squeeze out the excess liquid and pat dry. Toss with arrowroot powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and 5-spice powder.
- In a deep sauté pan or wok, heat a few spoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Cook the soy curls until browned, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pan, heat more oil and add the celery, carrots, scallions, bell peppers, and green beans. Sauté over high heat until the vegetables begin to soften. They should be crisp and tender. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the orange juice, lemon juice, brown rice vinegar, tamari, and sriracha. Mix in the brown sugar, garlic, and ginger until you have a smooth sauce. Taste for seasoning adjustments. Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer a minute or two.
- In a mug, mix the arrowroot powder and water. Pour this into the sauce and mix well. Quickly add the soy curls back into the sauce and toss to coat. Add the vegetables back to the pan and toss to coat in the sauce. Garnish with scallion greens and serve with rice.