This vegan pasta with chestnuts is a dish that will make you fall in love with this delicious nut. In Italy, chestnuts are eaten in a million different ways. Here, we created a dish with 3 iconic Italian ingredients: la castagna(chestnut), la nocciola (hazelnut), and bronze cut spaghetti. It's one of the best pastas you will ever have. It's cozy, creamy, cheesy, and earthy. What do you think?
Pasta with Creamy Chestnut Pesto [Vegan]
For the Chestnuts & Hazelnuts Pesto
- 1 cup chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Pasta Dish:
- 11.5 ounces bronze cut spaghetti
- 3/4 gallon water to cook the pasta
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt to salt the pasta water
- 8 oz brown mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 handful flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
For the Pesto:
- Wash 1 cup of chestnuts, then in a large pot, put them to boil with plenty of water.
- Boil for 50 minutes, then drain, and peel them with a paring knife. Remove the outer shell and the thin brown skin under the outer shell. Don't worry if they break, we'll blend them in a second.
- Blend all the ingredients together until you have a smooth cream. You can make the cream more or less smooth based on your preference. We like it smooth but with a grainy texture. Set aside.
For the Pasta:
- Wash the parsley and the mushrooms, then cut the mushrooms into small slices and finely chop the parsley. Set aside.
- In a large pot, bring the water to boil, then salt it with coarse sea salt and add the spaghetti. Give it a stir. Cook as instructed on the package, minus 1 minute. Before draining it, save one cup of pasta water. This important. Do not forget.
- While the pasta boils, add the oil to a non stick pan. When the oil is warm, add clove of garlic and the mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms on medium heat until the pasta is ready. Season with a pinch of salt.
- When ready, add the spaghetti to the pan with the mushrooms, add 4 to 5 spoonfuls of chestnut pesto and ½ cup of pasta water. Stir well, and finish cooking the pasta until creamy and al dente. If the sauce is too thick, add more pasta water.
- Portion into serving plates, sprinkle with some finely chopped parsley, serve and eat immediately.