The beauty of cold weather of course big soothing bowls of soup. This red lentil chickpea soup is definitely want that you'll want to try it this autumn or winter. Come home after a long day and make this. It's so cozy and delicious––the perfect way to warm up. It's also quite healthy and packed with protein you. Try making this red lentil chickpea soup––you'll love it!
Red Lentil Chickpea Soup with Mint [Vegan]
- 4 tablespoons oil (such as olive oil)
- 2 medium sized onions, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup dried chickpeas soaked overnight
- 3/4 cup red lentils
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes (4 fresh or 1/2 cup diced canned tomatoes)
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Turn your instant pot or pressure cooker on to saute mode. Add in the onion and garlic and saute for 3 to 4 minutes, until the onion softens and begins to turn toffee colored.
- Add in the chickpeas and red lentils.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, cinnamon stick, salt and tomato paste with 4 cups of water.
- Cover and set on 30 minutes of cooking. Allow a natural release if time permits.
- In the meantime, place the mint, coconut milk and lime juice in a blender and blend into a puree.
- To serve stir the soup well. Ladle onto bowls and serve topped with the mint and coconut cream.