This puffy pastry tart has a mixture of Baby Bella mushrooms sautéed in soy sauce and balsamic vinegar then sprinkled with fresh herbs. It's flaky, warm, savory, and very shareable! Slice it up and serve as an appetizer or pair with a fresh salad.
Savory Mushroom Tart [Vegan]
- 1 9 by 9-inch sheet puff pastry dough
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 10 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (plus more for garnish)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Lay the puff pastry dough flat and cut in half so that you have two pieces, each 4.5 by 9-inches. Place dough on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Poke holes in dough with a fork. Bake 15 minutes, turning once halfway through. Remove from the oven. With a small paring knife, cut a rectangle in each of the halves, leaving a 1/2-3/4 inch border around the edge. Press center down gently to create an indentation, this is where you’ll place the filling).
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook about 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes until liquid begins to release. Stir in garlic, rosemary, thyme, soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar and continue cooking, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes or until all liquid has evaporated. Stir in lemon zest, fresh parsley, salt, and freshly ground pepper. Remove from heat.
- Fill each of the pre-baked puff pastries with the mushroom mixture. Return to the oven to cook for another five minutes. Remove from oven and garnish with additional fresh parsley, if you like.