These soft tacos are the perfect dinner choice when you’re looking for something that is going to be satiating, but not leave you feeling heavy. They are light, healthy, and totally delicious! Using shiitake mushrooms adds something unique into the mix.
Shiitake Mushroom Soft Tacos [Vegan]
- 4 cups chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 5 large or 9 small tomatillos
- 2 limes
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 white onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 jalapeños
- Coconut yogurt, for garnish
- 1 package of soft tortillas
- Chop the vegetables, starting with the mushrooms. Wash and dice them to desired size. Wash the cilantro, separating about 1 cup and dumping it into a blender – chop up another half cup for garnish
- Peel the tomatillo, wash the stickiness off each fruit and pop them into the blender.
- Peel the garlic and the onion. Halve the onion, adding half to the blender and dicing the other half for garnish.
- Turn the broiler on high. Place one jalapeño on a cookie sheet and broil, turning every few minutes to ensure it doesn’t actually burn – just blackening the skin. Once the jalapeño is soft and the skin has browned/blackened, halve it then toss it into the blender.
- Pulse the blender until a chunky salsa forms, transfer to a serving bowl reserving about 1/2 a cup for the guacamole.
- In a large pan or sauce pot, cook the mushrooms and the coconut oil over medium heat until soft.
- Halve both avocados, scooping out their flesh into a large molcajete or sturdy bowl. Mash until smooth but still slightly chunky. Add in the reserved salsa verde, season with salt and a squeeze of half a lime. Season to taste. Top with sliced raw jalapeno and chopped cilantro if desired.
- Gently heat the tortillas in the oven turned on to 300°F in a tortilla warmer, or wrapped in foil.
- To assemble, arrange the tortillas on a plate, scooping first the mushroom filling, a dollop of coconut yogurt, some of the diced white onion. and a sprinkling of chopped cilantro.