What’s excellent about these cookies, is everything! They are quick, easy, have minimal ingredients, are buttery soft, can be made in various shade, you can throw in whatever spices or extracts you like, perfect for Halloween, and you can even make a game out of guess the flavor as the color won’t be altered and charcoal is flavorless!
Soft Baked Activated Charcoal Cookies [Vegan]
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-2 tablespoons activated charcoal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, sift together flour, activated charcoal, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of standing mixer, beat together powdered sugar, melted coconut oil, almond milk and vanilla until creamy.
- Add flour mixture and continue to mix until combined. Dough will thicken as you stir. If the dough still seems runny simply pop in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Roll 2-tablespoon size scoops of dough into balls and place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Flatten slightly with fingers to 1/2-inch thick. You can of course make them as thick as you like! Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes. Do not over bake, as cookies won't shift in color.
- Remove cookies from oven and place on cooling rack to cool completely.
You can add cocoa powder for a chocolate flavor and omit the vanilla You can add the charcoal later to the mixing bowl with all of the ingredients to achieve various shades. Simply start with a little and gradually add more. 1/2tbs will get you a dark grey color!