This year, celebrate all of the deliciousness of the holidays between two toasted burger buns. This burger has it all – freekeh-stuffing patty, cranberry sauce, decadent gravy, sauteed green beans, and crispy fried onions. All of the best flavors of the season in every single bite.
Thanksgiving Burgers [Vegan]
- 6 cups cubed bread (about 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup freekeh
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 medium carrot, minced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 cup unsweetened plain vegan milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup green beans, sliced thin on the diagonal
- 1 cup cranberry sauce
- 2 cups vegan gravy
- 1 cup fried onions
- 8 burger buns, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Transfer the bread to a baking sheet and bake until dried and crisp, about 15 minutes. Cook the freekeh, garlic, thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper in about 2 cups water until tender, according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, raisin, thyme, sage, oregano, and parsley. Season with salt and black pepper. Cook the vegetables until tender. Transfer to the large bowl.
- Dissolve the bouillon cubes in the hot water. Add to the large bowl, along with the milk, the bread cubes, and flour. Mash and knead until well combined.
- Season with a 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Form into 8 burgers.
- Heat a large pot of water over high heat to boiling. Add the burger dumplings and cook until they float and are cooked, about 5 minutes. Drain on cooling rack and cool thoroughly.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and the green beans. Cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Set aside. Add more oil and cook the burgers until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Assemble the burgers by spreading 2 tablespoons cranberry sauce on the bottom bun, add a burger, top with green beans, add gravy, top with fried onions, and the top bun. Serve.
- Grains - Other