This tofu benedict is the perfect brunch item or breakfast for a special occasion. A rich, creamy, slightly salty, and tangy sauce is slathered all over a crispy, pillowy English muffin. No eggs necessary — it's made from creamy avocado and a bit of vegan Worcestershire sauce. A heaping tablespoonful on top of some perfectly grilled tender tofu, a slice of fresh tomato, and some peppery arugula all on top of a soft, but crunchy English muffin… This might just be your new favorite breakfast.
Tofu Benedict With Avocado Hollandaise [Vegan]
- 2 English muffins
- 1 14-ounce package firm tofu
- 1 avocado
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more for grilling
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 small tomato, cut into 4 thick slices
- A handful of arugula
- A sprig of fresh thyme, optional
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium heat.
- Press the tofu by using a tofu press or by placing the tofu on a plate, wrapping it in a paper towel, and then piling cookbooks on top. Drain tofu of excess water for at least 15 minutes.
- Once drained, slice the tofu and cut each tofu filet in half. Pat each side of each piece with a paper towel, then brush each side with olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Grill tofu for approximately 10 minutes (5 minutes on each side, flipping only once during cook time) until nice grill marks are achieved.
- Cut the English muffins in half and toast until tops are golden brown and crispy.
- Place 1/2 an avocado, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Remove English muffins from the toaster oven and top each with a spoonful of the remaining 1/2 of the avocado. Mash with a fork.
- Top each with arugula, a slice of tomato, a piece of tofu, a heaping tablespoonful of the avocado hollandaise and a garnish of fresh thyme, if desired.