Satay is a grilled Malaysian dish. This grilled tofu satay is a fresh and creative dish to include in your spring and summer cookouts. Sliced tofu is marinated in a spicy curry sauce and then grilled until it's a little crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Serve with fresh or pickled veggies and Thai curry on the side, or skewer additional vegetables and grill them, to keep things simple.
Tofu Satay [Vegan]
For the Tofu Satay:
- 1 16-ounce block super firm tofu or 1 16-ounce block extra firm tofu, pressed and patted dry
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin coriander powder
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon grated lemongrass
- 2 teaspoons grated galangal
- 2 teaspoons coconut palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- 1/2 14-ounce can coconut milk, plus 1/4 cup water
For the Thai-Style Peanut Sauce:
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1/2 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup toasted ground peanuts
- 2-3 teaspoons coconut palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Salt, to taste
To Prep the Satay:
- Mix together the white pepper, cumin coriander powder, turmeric, lemongrass, galangal, sugar, salt, and garam masala in a bowl. Add coconut milk and water and whisk to form a marinade for the tofu.
- Cut the tofu into six long pieces. Place the tofu in a shallow dish and pour over the marinade so that the tofu pieces are mostly submerged. marinate the tofu in a refrigerator overnight or for at least a few hours.
To Make the Thai-Style Peanut Sauce:
- Heat the coconut oil in a small saucepan and add curry paste. Heat until the oil begins to bubble on the sides of the curry paste.
- Add coconut milk and simmer until it starts to get thick. Add the ground peanuts and season with sugar, soy sauce, lime juice, and salt to taste. Continue to simmer until desired consistency is reached.
To Make the Satay:
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for an hour or more before starting. Remove the tofu from the refrigerator about 1 hour before cooking.
- Skewer one piece of tofu onto each skewer. Cook on a hot grill or grill pan on for a couple of minutes on each side, or until grill marks form.
- Brush on marinade while the tofu is cooking. Alternatively, the tofu can be sautéed in a pan.
- Serve the hot tofu with peanut sauce. If desired, thinly slice cucumber, radish, and peppers, toss with rice vinegar and a bit of sugar and serve along with the tofu.